Webpack 2.2.0-rc.1 has an error messaging bug.
Current behavior is throwing an error, but it does not display where the error comes from, nor does it display the recommended fixes.
- Add some obvious error in your webpack config such as using
- Ensure you have Node 7.2.1 (latest version as of 12/19/2016).
webpack-dev-server --hot --inline
- See that the error is thrown, but no explanation as to why it throws is given.
- Switch to LTS (6.9.2 as of 12/19/2016) and run the same command.
- See the error being thrown, but now we have a description of what the error is.
The expected behavior is that it should only ouput the error in the CLI, rather than leveraging Node’s internal error messaging.
Tested on OS X 10.11.6, Node 7.2.1 & Node 6.9.2, and using iTerm2 emulator.